I carried my podcast recorder to the Rural Maine’s Next Economy Envision Maine conference at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor on Friday February 10. The temperature outside was in the single digits, but inside the ideas were flowing. I captured two segments – the Rural Sparkplugs segment of four minute talks, and the One Minute Big Ideas, an off-the-cuff opportunity to pitch the crowd on your idea. Here the guests in order of appearance:
- Amanda Beal, President of the Maine Farmland Trust
- Lucas St. Clair, Elliotsville Plantation, Inc.
- George Smith, Author, Hunting/Fishing Activist
- Bonnie Rukin, Slow Money Maine
- Leah Cook, Crown of Maine Organic Cooperative
- Nancy Smith, GrowSmart Maine
- Vaughan Woodruff, Insource Renewables
On the One Big Idea Segment
- Ron Brown on Broadband
- Matt Delaney from Millinocket Library
- Mike Turcotte
- Ken from Arrowsic
- Matt Polstein from New England Outdoor Center
- Robin Zinchuk, Executive Director of Bethel Area Chamber of Commerce
- Kay from Lexington Township (note: what Kay wants to do is closely aligned to what Maine Farmland Trust’s Farmlink program does)
- Martha Bentley of Maine Technology Institute
- Mike Wilson of Northern Forest Center
- Jonah Fertig of Cooperative Development Institute
- Eric from Appleton with a cool idea: Uber for canoes. Or Zipcar for canoes. Zipcanoe.
- Scott Vlaun of Center for an Ecology Based Economy
- Brooks Winner of Island Institute
- Ivy from College of the Atlantic
Hope you enjoyed the episode – it was fun to do – which of the big ideas was your favorite and why?